24991404_1672191192802764_7610195156686325659_n

A Stage Makes a Comeback

The Womens Club of Orange was formed in 1915 and by 1922 a lot was purchased for a clubhouse.   The building was completed in 1924 and today the clubhouse and gardens retain the charm and character of the early 20th-century era.

The clubhouse quickly became the center of the Orange community with dances, theater, opera, and fashion shows appearing on its small stage.  But over the years, the weight and frequency of these events took their toll.  Orange Plaza Rotary member Mary Noguera (also a member of the Womens Club) brought the issue to the attention of other Rotarians.

Building and repairing is kind of our thing, so  we dispatched a crew to repair and shore up the stage.  Working together in close quarters under the footboards,  members Joe Colombo, Jason Curtis and John Bouyer, along with volunteer Clint Breads, replaced supporting  beams and other damaged wood.

The stage is now ready for many more presentations over the next 95 years!